Monday 7 February 2011

February's Dish of the Month: Spicy Carrot Salad

I never liked carrot salad. But I like this!
       --My roommate (again)

I know, another roommate quote. But I cook for my roommates a lot. If you can't stand the raisins in carrot salad or the sugar in candied carrots, but you think you might like normal carrots, this is a grand salad to try.

You'll need:
 bowl, shredder
carrots, mayonnaise, black pepper, garlic, and (optional) chile or cayenne pepper

This is super simple.
Peel, wash, and shred a couple of carrots.
Add a tsp. black pepper, a tbsp. minced garlic, a few tablespoons of mayonnaise, and (if desired) a little cayenne or minced chile.
 I like to mix olive oil with the mayonnaise before adding it to the carrots

Let the mayo and seasonings enhance, not drown, the carrot flavor. It's easy to put too much. Start with less and keep adding and tasting until there's just enough to make it taste how you want.

This salad goes well with a number of Russian dishes. I'll post some of those soon.
It's also a great side to simple soup or rice dishes.
It goes especially well with pumpernickel bread as a midnight snack.

Bon appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Someone's on a "spicy" kick... ;)I will be too in a little over a week. Thai food here I come!!

    ReplyDelete